5/16/10

Try This Great Pasta Dish

As promised, I will be reviewing new recipes I find and sharing them here.

Tonight I was craving pasta so I went searching through all of my healthy cookbooks/magazines for something that would hit the spot. I found Chicken Tetrazzini. The recipe is from the Weight Watchers Ultimate Classics Magazine, page 31.

I will provide the recipe first and then my review at the end.

Chicken Tetrazzini (pg 31 Weight Watchers Ultimate Classics)

12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
2 Tbsp light stick butter
1 (8 - ounce) package presliced mushrooms
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
2 (10.75 - ounce) cans condensed 45% reduced-sodium, 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
While pasta cooks, melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and saute 4 minutes or until tender.
Combine pasta, mushrooms, chopped chicken, and next 3 ingredients.
Pour chicken mixture into a 13X9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350F for 55 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

This recipe makes 9 - 1 cup servings. Each serving has 8 POINTS, 370 Calories, 12.5g Fat, 24g Protein, 38.6g Carbohydrate, 1.9g Fiber, 76mg Cholesterol, 2mg Iron, 392mg Sodium and 193mg Calcium

--
I love this recipe. My picky 13 year old loved it as well.
Since the meat, mushrooms and pasta are cooked before being put in the oven, it didn't take 55 minutes to cook. It was just over half an hour and we were ready to eat.

The mushroom soup mixed with the sour cream provides a nice flavor and nice creamy texture to the dish. It is very filling and the leftovers will freeze well. If you like a little more spice to your dish then you may want to add some italian seasoning in when you saute the mushrooms, but that's personal preference. I think the next time I make it I will be adding some more mushrooms, but again that's personal preference and I really like mushrooms, and on WW I can add mushrooms without adding POINTS.

I highly recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment